2008-09 Catalog Archive (Archived August 21, 2008)

One College Avenue, Williamsport PA 17701-5799 · (570) 326-3761 or (800) 367-9222

Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawing from Courses

Adding a Course

A student may add a course during the first week of a 16-week semester. Signatures of the adviser and the student are required in adding a course. In addition, the instructor's approval is required if the course is added after the first week of the semester. The Chief Academic Officer must approve all adds after the third week of the semester.

Dropping a Course

A student may drop a course up to the 20 percent period (third week of the regular fall or spring semester, 16-week course). The dropped course will be deleted from the student's schedule and will not appear on the official transcript. Refunds for dropped courses will be applied according to College policy and federal regulations. The signatures of both the student and adviser are required on dropped courses unless the student is subject to administrative removal. Dropping a developmental course requires the Associate Vice President for Academic Services' signature, as well.

Drop/Add Forms are available on the Registrar's website.

Withdrawing from a Course

A student may withdraw from a course from the third week (or 20 percent period) through the 13th week (or 80 percent period, prorated for short-term classes) of the regular semester. After that date the professor must, on behalf of the student, request permission for a course withdrawal from the Chief Academic Officer through the appropriate school dean. The course will remain part of the student's schedule and will appear on the official transcript with the assigned grade of 'W.' There are no grade points or credits awarded for a class from which a student has withdrawn.
From the end of the 13th week to the last day of the course, students are not permitted to withdraw from a class. Exceptions may be granted only with the recommendation of the professor, school dean, and the approval of the Chief Academic Officer.

Currently enrolled full-time students should note that any break in enrollment will result in withdrawal from the College